GUIDELINES FOR NEW TATTOO/PERMANENT COSMETICS/BODYPIERCING
"Permanent cosmetics" means a tattoo, by someone other than a physician licensed under Chapter 4731. of the
Revised Code, which includes but is not limited to eyebrows, eyelids, lips and other parts of the body for beauty
marks, hair imitation, lash enhancement or areola repigmentation. This includes any procedures referred to as
"permanent makeup," "microdermapigmentation," "micropigment implantation" or "dermagraphics" and for the
· purpose of these rules has the same meaning as "tattoo." This definition does not include practices that are
considered medical procedures by the state medical board, performed with medical devices that include, but are
not limited to, biopsy or dermal punches and scalpels.
FEE SCHEDULE - BUSINESSES:
- The first step is to make sure to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for your
proposed location from the Department of Building & Housing/Zoning
section/Room 505, City Hall, 601 Lakeside Ave. The phone number is (216)
664-2825. (This step should be completed before any financial investment
is made into the location.)
- Following approval by Zoning, applicants may submit a license application
with payment to the Division of Licenses & Assessments, Room 122, City
Hall. Applicants will be given a payment receipt and the application will be
forwarded to the Department of public Health for review and inspection.
Applications may be obtained from the Cleveland Department of Public
Health via email. Applicants must provide proof of the Certificate of
Occupancy before an application can be approved.
- Applicants should contact the Department of Public Health for next steps.
Floor plans showing the general layout of fixtures and equipment are
required and a pre-inspection may be scheduled if needed. Program
contact is Annie R. Snyder, R.S. at (216) 664-4292 or
- Inspections are conducted in accordance with requirements prescribed in
section 3701-9 of the Ohio Administrative Code and section 3730.01 of the
Ohio Revised Code.
All business licenses expire on December 31 of each year
- Body Piercing Only - $250.00 per year
- Tattooing Only - $250.00 per year
- Permanent or Semi-Permanent Cosmetics Only - $250.00 per year
- Body Piercing and Tattooing or Cosmetics - $325.00 per year
Application for Body Piercing/Tattoo Parlor
- Temporary Tattooing, Cosmetics or Body Piercing - $50.00 per day/no more than four (4) consecutive days
and limited to ten (10) licenses per year.
- Temporary Tattooing, Cosmetics and Body Piercing - $50.00 per day/no more than four (4) consecutive
days and limited to ten (10) licenses per year.
- For Temporary events, all information, applications and payments must be submitted at least ten (10)
business days prior to planned event.